Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Translating the Hieroglyphs

I am presently listening to The Teaching Company lecture "The History of Ancient Egypt" presented by Professor Bob Brier. Even though I am a passionate viewer of any program having to do with ancient history and ancient historical characters, I learn new things with each lecture. For example, most of us are familiar with the rosetta stone and its role in translating the ancient hieroglyphs. But I did not realize one of the other important factors was Champollions knowledge of Coptic. I knew about Egypts Coptic-sect of Christians but I did not realize their written texts are the ancient Egyptian language written in the Greek alphabet.
If you enjoyed this post, never miss out on future posts by following me by email!

No comments:

Post a Comment