Monday, February 09, 2015

Feasts, Dancing and Tournaments Draw Medieval History Enthusiasts

A history resource article by  © 2015

The Middle Ages has attracted a lot of history enthusiasts and over 30,000 have gone on to relive this vibrant historical period by joining the Society for Creative Anachronism, an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. I received an email from one of these young men, Euan Forrester, a talented photographer who produced an excellent video about medieval reenactment actitivities:



This Game We Play from Euan Forrester on Vimeo.

The “Known World” of the SCA consists of 19 kingdoms worldwide, each overseen by a royal court. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes, workshops and more.

By checking the SCA website, I learned that I resided in the kingdom of AnTir that encompasses Oregon, Washington and the northern tip of Idaho as well as  British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, the Yukon, and the Northwest Territories.  I am presently being ruled by King Savaric and Queen Dalla.  I even discovered there is the Egil Skallagrimmson Memorial Tournament scheduled not far from my home May 22 - May 25, 2015 under the supervision of the baron of Adiantum.

Although I will probably only participate as a photographer (after all, my heart lies with the Roman Republic much earlier in history and I prefer a Roman gladius to a European long sword), I would definitely encourage anyone interested in the Middle Ages to check the SCA website for reenactment activities scheduled near you!

Related articles
If you enjoyed this post, never miss out on future posts by following me by email!

No comments:

Post a Comment