Tuesday, January 21, 2003

I was pleased to see that Audible.com now offers Gibbon's work on audio totally unabridged. I selected it for one of my two January titles but I am still busy with my audio courses from the Teaching Company so it resides in my "library".

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Audible (http://www.audible.com ), it is an online service offering audiobooks that download onto your computer or into a Pocket PC or MP3 player. I am a "Lite Listener" member and get two audio books per month for $17.95 (the regular rate is $19.95 but I was a premier member of the service upon its introduction three years ago). I can select any books I wish regardless of their regular per book price. This month I selected the unabridged Gibbon's "Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire" (over 20 hrs.) and "Jews, God, and History" by Max I Dimont (almost 18 hrs.). Their regular retail price would have been something like $41. In addition to the classics, they also have such popular titles as the Brother Cadfael mysteries, historical mysteries by Elizabeth Peters, Diana Gabaldon, Anne Rice, Mary Renault, Michael Crichton, Caleb Carr, etc.
If you enjoyed this post, never miss out on future posts by following me by email!

No comments:

Post a Comment